Monday, December 9, 2019

"CPS was here..."




On Monday, I went back to school.  I assumed Student and baby would be discharged that day.  I texted her in the morning and told her to text me when she got home and let me know if she needed anything.

I did not hear from her all day, and I assumed she was discharged and settling into at-home mommyhood (which is quite different from in-hospital mommyhood.)  

I finally heard from her around 5 or 6.  The text just said, "hi, Miss."

I texted back, "how is being home with the baby?"

"I'm still in the hospital."

I immediately panicked.  The baby was so little.  Maybe something happened.  Maybe they couldn't keep her temperature up.   Maybe she wasn't eating.  Maybe mom was having a problem.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, expecting the worst.

"CPS was here."  

I immediately contacted Marianna and we both drove to the hospital.  We wanted to know what was going on.

We got there roughly the same time, shocked, confused, nervous.

Here's the story we got:

The NURSES at maternity called CPS because she had fallen asleep with the baby twice in her arms, with the baby dangling precariously over the side of the bed, she would forget the change and feed the baby, etc.  They were nervous about sending her home so they called CPS.  The CPS worker came in, interviewed her, and said she could not leave with the baby.  

I wrote down my information and told her to tell CPS that I was a foster mother and that they could call me if they needed to.

Guess what?

They needed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment