Sunday, December 8, 2019

Unicorn

(*disclosure:  Since I haven't blogged in a million years, I have no memory of whether I wrote about this or not.  Excuse me if I'm repeating myself...  I swear, it has to do with our next foster baby.  Allow me my divergence...)

Way, way back before I started the foster classes, Darryl and I were in love with Baby Aisha, the daughter of two of my students at MVCC.  Aisha was a very, very good baby, and on top of that, she had a very exotic look.  Her mom is Japanese and her dad is Tanzanian.  The product was this creamy-skinned curly haired angel baby.  We still love her to bits, even though she moved to Japan with her mom.

When I broached the subject of fostering, Darryl said, "Okay, but I have one request."

I really thought he was going to say, "under no circumstances are we adopting... even if the foster is with us for a long time."

(Sidenote:  Darryl made it very clear about ten million times that he did NOT want children ever, ever, ever, even though I begged.)

I was ready for that, even though in my mind, if we had a child in our home for a long time, there was no way he would talk me out of adopting that kid.  I figured time would tell.  For him to bring it up right from the beginning though was a little scary...

I asked him what the caveat was.  

"I want the baby to be just like Aisha," he said.

Now granted Aisha was a VERY good baby.  She was friendly and mellow and all-around an easy baby to be around (aka a wonderful foray starter baby into the world of babies for my husband who had been around zero babies in his life.)  

I explained that there was no guarantee that any baby, even Aisha's siblings, would be as even-tempered as our little angel baby.  

"No," he said, "I want her to LOOK like Aisha."

(Another sidenote:  at the time before I took the fostering classes and was just discussing it with the fam, I wanted girls only... obviously, that didn't happen and we changed our minds...)

"Yes," he said, I explained that it was probably easy enough since there were many biracial children (I assumed) in foster care.

"No, I want an ASIAN baby."

Um.  

First of all, no one looked at Aisha and said, "wow, there's an Asian baby."

Secondly, I thought that asking for an infant and a girl was being restrictive enough.  Limiting it to an ASIAN INFANT FEMALE?  Heck, I figured we would never get a baby.

He relented.

Still, I jokingly mentioned the whole Asian baby thing to one of our trainers in foster class. She said that in her time at The Agency, there were NEVER any Asian children in care. Z E R O.

So basically, Darryl was hoping for us to foster a unicorn.

Who would have thought that eventually we would...

No comments:

Post a Comment